Potential Project Tuesday, Vol. 1 // A Raincoat

September 30, 2014

Last week was pretty much all clouds and rain here, and as I was getting my things together to leave my Wednesday night class, I had this conversation with myself:

"Man, this lightweight, waterproof jacket is so functional."
"It really is ugly, though. I wish I had a cuter one."
"Oooh, I want a pink one! No, a printed one! A polka dot one! Better yet, plaid!"
"I could totally make one, I would just need the right pattern and fabric. I'm going to look into it when I get home."

Once I got home, I started searching through online pattern catalogs and trying to source fabrics, and I realize I do this all.the.time. I'll find inspiration from ready-to-wear clothes/accessories/decor or wandering thoughts like the ones above, I'll research everything I need to make it, sometimes I will even buy some of the supplies, and then I won't have time to get around to it for weeks/months/years, if at all. Then, if I do finally get around to working on the project, I have to track down the pattern and fabric sources AGAIN because it has been so long since I first found them. I waste all that time researching and sourcing and the idea just floats around in my head. So, I have decided to start a new blog series, Potential Project Tuesday, where I can get all of my ideas down on "paper" and have a resource when I do get around to the project. It may also serve as inspiration for you if you are looking for a new project and need ideas, making it a win-win for us both! Here are the ground rules:

  • I might not have a potential project every Tuesday, but I'm aiming for at least bi-weekly
  • The series will probably focus mostly on garments, but some accessories/decor items may creep in, too
  • Each post will contain my inspiration, 3 potential patterns, and 3 potential fabrics. I feel like 3 is a good number that gives some different options, but limits me so it's not overwhelming (and when it comes to me and fabric, things can get out of hand very quickly, so I think it's good to have a place to make me stop).

Anyway, without further ado, the first Potential Project Tuesday, a lightweight, waterproof rain jacket!

Inspiration

Replacing my current ugly one (see above). My current jacket is a short, sporty one like the first image, but after looking around online at some other jackets I kinda like the idea of a longer, dressier, trench length one.
PPT Vol. 1 // A Raincoat - Inspiration by Hey it's SJ
From left to right: Helly Hansen (via Nordstrom)
Ilse Jacobsen (via Nordstom)
French Connection (via Nordstrom)

Patterns

McCall's 6517: This is a more classic take on a raincoat. I don't love the button front, but I like the length, the sash (not pictured), and it has front pockets.

Sewaholic Minoru: I love that this pattern has a zip front and a hood, but I think my favorite part is that the hood can be hidden in that awesome wide collar! I also think the ruching would be very flattering. I would definitely have to figure out a way to add front pockets, though.

Jalie 2795: This is obviously a sporty, windbreaker style. The pattern is written for stretch fabrics, but I think with a few minor tweaks it could be easily made in a non-stretch fabric.

PPT Vol. 1 // A Raincoat - Patterns by Hey it's SJ


Fabrics

Sport Nylon in Royal Blue: If ya'll don't know by now, I have a serious soft spot for royal blue. I think the Minoru jacket would look uh-mazing in this color.

Polyurethane Laminate in Black: This is a more classic raincoat fabric and has a bit of a sheen in real life. While making it up in the McCall's pattern may be a bit on the boring side, it's sure to be a classic jacket that would never go out of style. 

Diagonal Waves Waterproof and Breathable Polyester: A jacket in this fabric would definitely be a statement piece! I know it's a little loud, but I love the colors and the abstract plaid print. I think this fabric would work for any of the patterns as long as you aren't scared to stand out in a crowd.

PPT Vol. 1 // A Raincoat - Fabrics by Hey it's SJ

So are you feeling inspired?! Do you have a favorite raincoat pattern or one that you are dying to try out? I think that royal blue Minoru is calling my name, but I have a ton of projects in the line up that I need/want to get to first.